As implied by the name, the Indian Head Massage is a form of massage therapy created in India thousands of years ago. It is a deep style of massage derived from the Ayurvedic tradition that focuses on head, shoulders and neck.
Through a variety of different techniques, the massage works to release any blocked negative energy in the body that may be manifesting itself as disease or injury in any of the seven Chakras (energy centres) of the body. It does so by applying pressure to certain points on the neck, shoulders and head that correspond to each Chakra (which is a similar approach to that of reflexology). This unblocks the Chakras and allows for a free flow of energy around the body, restoring the individual to optimum health and feelings of wellbeing. An Indian Head Massage is the ideal way to get a person ‘out of their head’ and far, far away from everyday emotional and mental stress.
The massage usually takes between 25-45 minutes. The client can remain clothed (in which case no oils are necessary) or can remove their top, have a towel wrapped around them and have a wonderful relaxing massage using oils. This massage includes the upper back, the shoulders, the arms and hands, then the neck and head, where it can help to relieve any headache-causing blockages and encourage better circulation of the cerebral fluid. The massage then progresses to the scalp, relaxing the entire head, encouraging circulation and stimulating hair growth. Lastly, I perform a gentle face massage that may relieve symptoms of sinusitis and headache, and encourage good circulation and a glowing complexion.
Indian Head Massage may:
- Relieve built up tension that can often result in headaches, migraines, neck and back pain;
- Detoxify the body by stimulating lymphatic drainage;
- Boost overall immunity;
- Improve circulation, which in turn increases energy levels;
- Promote clarity and increased concentration;
- Soothe symptoms of asthma by calming the respiratory system;
- Relieve tension in the jaw;
- Increase muscle tone;
- Relieve symptoms of sinusitis;
- Boost cerebral spinal fluid circulation;
- Relieve sleeplessness, restlessness and insomnia.
… and improve overall mental health by:
- Relieving symptoms of anxiety and depression;
- Providing relief from stress and promoting relaxation;
- Improving concentration levels;
- Renewing energy levels;
- Increasing feelings of peace, calm and wellbeing;
- Boosting memory capabilities.